When Gardenvale was built, in 1789 it was initially comprised of 365 acres (one for every day of the year!) and, once facilitating over 50 jobs it played a significant role in the N. Irish agriculture industry.
Originally the Gardenvale estate belonged to the McNeil family who sought to develop a family estate following their exploits in the Australian gold rush of 1851.
Since then the property has passed through many hands and has been reduced to 20 acres. Today it is proudly owned by the Irwin family who have made vast improvements over the course of the past two decades.